Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Luck vs Pluck: the man who could have been Bill Gates

. You can take our readers through that story?

When I was a senior in college, I don't really know what I wanted to do with my career, but I knew I needed a job. Drexel Burnham Lambert, an investment bank which at the time was very successful, came on campus for an interview and I did well enough to be invited to New York City for a last round. So I put on my best suit and made the journey.

The day of the interviews, we were told that we candidates six long conversations and only 10 minutes with the Executive who ran the Division would have. My interviews went fine, and then it was my turn to meet the Executive. When walking in his Office, I noticed that he had a recycle bin that the emblem of the Washington Redskins, a professional American football team. Is a sports fan and have brought my last four years in Washington, DC, I complimented him on the Recycle Bin. That comment hit in an emotional spot, and he launched into a discussion of his time in DC, the virtues of sport and the link between Athletics and business. I sat and nodded as 10 minutes stretched to 15.

You got the job?



View the Original article

0 comments:

Post a Comment